Tuesday, April 07, 2020

Your Shoe and Your Glove?

Something I keep running across in Kashihara--discarded gloves and shoes. Never pairs, always just one glove or shoe. Sometimes it's clearly a gardening glove or shoe meant for going outside but usually there's no apparent explanation.

I saw this pump outside Hard Off last week. It looks pretty scuffed and the toe looks split open. I can see why someone might want to abandon it but, again, why just the one? Did she keep the other, presumably in better condition, in the hopes of buying just one shoe somewhere?

It took a while for it to occur to me to start taking pictures of these. The first one I saw was a really nice terra cota coloured leather woman's glove with ivory and grey fur trim, tangled in a chain link fence. I wish I'd gotten a picture of that.

There are so many lovely birds here that are new to me. I spotted this fellow from a distance, standing so still I thought he was a lawn ornament.

Then his head darted into the water. I don't think he caught anything. So much for patience.

Although I'm in Nara, one of the areas not placed in a state of emergency, many of the restaurants and cafes are closed to-day. I'm also told schools won't be opening until May 7. Maybe that's why there are crowds of teenagers in uniforms everywhere, jamming the trains and crowding the convenience stores. The best laid plans of mice and men . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment