Tuesday, November 17, 2020

From the Land of Trees and Sake

This is the river I walk along on my route to the new school I've started working at. The trees around this school are particularly gorgeous.

The sign says something like, "When you leave trash, we are watching you."

There's a nice art club at this school, but also I loved the last school where there was no art club. Some coworkers from that school took me to an izakaya for my last day. Along with a series of amazing plates of food--including sushi, pickled potato and daikon, and hot mushroom pudding--I had some excellent sake followed by astonishingly good shochu. I'd had shochu before--I bought a bottle years ago in San Diego after seeing it in a Naruse movie. I wasn't impressed at the time but maybe that was because it was cheap and/or American shochu. The stuff I had on Friday was divine, with something of the smoothness of Grey Goose vodka and pleasantly warm. With the instant impact on my brain I can't remember drinking anything that so naturally felt like it was supposed to be in my body. I suppose I ought to have asked for the brand.

Twitter Sonnet #1414

Dissected pops revert to liquid coke.
The timer told the can was finished late.
Umbrellas need a good routinely soak.
There's something 'bout the soup that smacks of bait.
Returning music caught the calloused heart.
Repeating themes entrapped the restless eye.
Recycled drums descend and break apart.
Recurring frames contain a painted pie.
A shortened time remits the border trade.
Neglected tea was cold before the feast.
In bridges kept above the prince was made.
Beneath the meeting watched a glassy beast.
Approaching voices make to grab your nose.
Ideas were passed in notes inside the rose.

No comments:

Post a Comment