Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Genetically Engineered or Toasted

Just did a YouTube search for a clip from The Misfits I wanted and didn't find. But I did come across this beautiful little thing;



The first voice is John Huston and the music near the end is some rather perfectly chosen Thelonious Monk. Normally for something like this, there'd be goopy melodramatic sad music, but the Monk music is so much better. It's what Kerouac meant when he said "beat"--beautiful and not yanked, sad but not false.

And The Misfits, I've long believed, is the most underrated movie in film history. Partly I think it's just that it's too big--directed by John Huston, written by Arthur Miller, staring Clark Gable and Marilyn Monroe, it's too good to be true, so most people assume it isn't.

I didn't have much time for anything but comic yesterday. Lately I've been eating ambrosia apples, which I'm digging. They seem to have a mildly cinnamon flavour, which maybe ought to seem suspicious. They've only been around since the 1980s, who knows what kind of experiment wrought them.

I watched the eighth episode of Battlestar Galactica's fourth season last night--at last, we finally got a look at what appeared to be typical living conditions for a civilian living on a ship other than Colonial 1 and the Galactica. Still not quite enough, but it was something, at least. It's disappointing to see Adama behaving like a teenager, but it's coinciding with something I forgot to mention about the previous episode;

Colonel Tigh was right about something.

I've been keeping track, and I believe this is the second time in the history of the show where this has happened--first it was on New Caprica when he knew there'd be a raptor to receive transmissions from the occupied colony, and then it was calling for a weapons hold when the damaged Cylon base ship jumped into range. Of course, Tigh's probably mainly getting smarter because Adama's getting dumber. It's the inevitable seesaw of smarts--no two people on shows like this can be right at the same time and hold a conversation. But I'll take what I can get.

Well, I'd better start drawing . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment