Sunday, March 08, 2009

Nebula Nymphs

Speaking of superheroes and perversion, you may want to have a look at some of the fetish art of Joe Shuster, co-creator of Superman.

Looking for some Pre-Raphaelite desktop wallpaper to-day, I found doing an extra large image search for "Bouguereau" turned up pictures of Barack Obama and Sarah Palin.

I think I've finally taught myself to write "Barack" instead of "Barrack". I could've been a right wing spin doctor;

"Sure, Obama is similar to Osama. Sure, his middle name is Hussein. But has anyone considered his first name? Barack? Like a barracks? An entire legion of al Qaeda are inside this man! Your friends on the Endor moon are walking into a trap!"

Maybe not. I guess with President Obama we can finally retire the Star Wars metaphors for political figures. Of course Cheney was enough of a douchebag to actually embrace comparisons between himself and Darth Vader. Tone deaf . . .

I neglected to mention watching the new Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles with breakfast yesterday. It was actually one of my favourite episodes of the series, featuring a lot of great showcases of dialogue where you can see the people talking trying subtly to test each other out, trying to figure out what's going on inside them, inside themselves, and deciding how much they can reveal or are revealing without realising it. And the aesthetic of Summer Glau with the pigeon was so perfect. There's something very pigeon-like about her face. Maybe more owl-like, but she has those delicate looking bones and very round eyes. Gods, that girl's fingers seem impossibly tiny.

I watched the fifth episode of Battlestar Galactica's fourth season last night. The show's internal sympathy seems to have moved completely from Roslin to Baltar. I like it--I kind of wish it had been done a little less broadly, but it's still pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment