Tuesday, May 24, 2022

The Mathematics of Cinema

I didn't have a lot of time last night so I just watched Guillermo del Toro's 1987 short film Geometry. What a perfect blend of horror and comedy. And you can see Del Toro's distinctive style already in place with the saturated red and blue coloured lighting, the camera angles, and a kind of pitiless editing.

I don't know why I've been so in the mood for horror movies lately.

Yesterday I also saw the new trailer for Thor: Love and Thunder.

I still want to see it but the trailer isn't nearly as good as the teaser. Christian Bale looks great as the villain but I'm afraid Natalie Portman is going to drag the movie down. The concept of a woman taking over a famous male character's identity is so overdone now and doesn't even seem to be truly feminist. But I have to hand it to Portman for bulking up. She still doesn't look like anyone I'd call Thor but I respect the work she put into it. I might even like this storyline if I saw in isolation.

Twitter Sonnet #1584

A cape interred these eighty years returns.
A bidden shape approached our humble home.
A simple ape incurred what God discerns.
Forbid escape, or must in tempests roam.
A hungry shadow never leaves the house.
Revenge abides between the walls of stone.
A dreamy field conceals the panicked mouse.
The morning hides the ancient mummy bones.
The coffee speaks when tea could scarcely sleep.
Arriving home, the footless boots were wet.
The time to take the stairs was greater deep.
The horses dashed to beat the idle bet.
The running mountain slams athwart its twin.
The antsy sky was ever picked to win.

No comments:

Post a Comment