Wednesday, June 14, 2023

The X-Movie

It'd been a while, so I decided to watch the first X-Men film from 2000. I was surprised to find I enjoy it more now than I used to. Maybe it's the very fact that it feels dated, it's actually kind of refreshing.

You can see it's from a time when superhero movies weren't popular and there are all kinds of indications of that. From the constant, neurotic need to justify the code names with convoluted explanations and irony, to all the ways the film imitates non-superhero movies from the time. The fight scene between Wolverine and Sabretooth at the end feels a bit Matrix-ish. I've never bought Wolverine swinging around that part of the statue's crown on his claw.

I'd forgotten how dark the cinematography is on this first film. I think maybe it's because the Michael Keaton Batman movies had been the most recent popular superhero movies. And maybe it's there to hide cheap sets, too. Tonally, it's a mismatch with the X-Men. A colourful ensemble demands a colourful palette.

One thing's for sure, the casting remains almost impeccable. It's no wonder Kevin Feige's dragging his feet re-casting the X-Men for the MCU. Hugh Jackman, Famke Janssen, Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen, James Marsden, Anna Paquin--every one of them so perfectly inhabited the characters, bringing to life the comic book character or, where they do diverge, offering an interesting interpretation. The exception is Halle Berry who is a terrible Storm.

Like a lot of people, I feel Halle Berry is generally an overrated actress, but her Storm is a letdown for more reasons than that. She was my favourite character in the comics and to see this goddess reduced to an unremarkable young woman in a t-shirt is so sad. When she is finally reincarnated, I hope they do it right. Storm's gotta be big--big hair, decadent costume, voluptuous physical assets. I always though Beyonce was physically right for the part. If they could find someone with that body-type with decent acting chops, it would be perfect.

X-Men is available on Disney+.

No comments:

Post a Comment