Tuesday, January 30, 2024

Remembered Heat

I didn't talk about Norman Jewison when he passed away a couple weeks ago. I'm not really a fan, I didn't like Moonstruck. I did like In the Heat of the Night, though, and I watched it again last night. Jewison gives us a great showcase for two actors, Rod Steiger and Sidney Poitier.

Poitier had such interesting mannerisms. The words he chooses to emphasise in his lines are often striking. He puts emphasis on "out" when he says he was heading out of town. The movie has strangely sensual forensic scenes in which Poitier slowly runs his hands over a corpse.

In the Heat of the Night is available on Amazon Prime, which now has ads unless you upgrade with an extra 2.99 subscription. I'm really thinking about not renewing when my yearly bill comes due in April. I'm starting to think all I need is The Criterion Channel. Do I really need to keep watching crappy Disney+ shows? I do want to see Andor season two but that won't be for a while. Doctor Who doesn't start until May, I think. It's such a hassle moving money from my Japanese bank to my American bank to pay for these things.

X Sonnet #1813

Deferring questions stilled the waterfall.
But ling'ring late, the brain was keen to run.
Assembled coppers know the one to call.
Behind the moon is stashed a silver gun.
The bacon lines suggest a grill to men.
Pathetic tracks would follow trains to feet.
As iron wheels replace the walking ten
The veg'table replaced the phony meat.
Beyond the war, we see a murky day.
The empty cart was holding icy treats.
A scream was quickly gulped into the bay.
The rotten wharf was full of splintered seats.
Remembered heat was touch and go at dusk.
Cicadas crowd a single ready husk.

No comments:

Post a Comment