Thursday, September 12, 2024

Bye Bye, Black Bird

In the wake of the inevitable failure of the new Crow movie, I saw Amazon Prime has the original 1994 The Crow. So I decided to give it another shot. I mean, I never really liked it. I remember hating it, actually, though I loved its famous soundtrack, of course (except for the Henry Rollins and Jane Siberry tracks), and its achievement of peak Goth aesthetic is pleasant. I thought maybe I'd like it better now that I've developed a taste for revenge movies thanks to Quentin Tarantino. It turns out, no, I still don't like The Crow.

The thing about Tarantino's revenge movies is that he makes them about characters. Everyone on the Bride's list is fleshed out in varying degrees and it gives some weight to what she's doing. Even Stuntman Mike had something more to him than just being a cartoon character. My dislike for The Crow is about the same as my dislike for Death Wish. Except Charles Bronson was a better actor than Brandon Lee. Even The Crow's legendary soundtrack is largely misused. The Cure's "Burn" is cut all to hell.

At least he's a superhero who fights crime. That's pretty rare nowadays. And when I consider the same people who used to get caught up in the romance of revenge in the name of great love now tend to spend their days posting memes about micro-aggressions I do long for the days when The Crow had cache.

Anyway, it's available on Amazon Prime in Japan.

No comments:

Post a Comment