Thursday, September 05, 2024

The Scary One Can't Save Us

I don't like this movie's advertising. But this, of course, is the second version of the second trailer for Megalopolis. The first version was taken down after it was discovered that a series of quotes from negative reviews of famous Francis Ford Coppola movies were entirely A.I. generated. I was, I guess you could say, lucky enough to catch that one before it was gone. I was surprised so many critics didn't like the Godfather movies but, then, of course, they actually loved it. When a bunch of the critics are still living and able to point out the quotes said the exact opposite of what they actually said, of course they'd be angry and of course there'd be a scandal. How could the people who decided to go ahead with the A.I. generated version not anticipate that? I suppose they had no idea the A.I. was hallucinating.

It's amazing how quickly people have been willing to put their faith in A.I. Generally, you'd be more likely to classify it as their "terror of" A.I. Terror is kind of the flipside of faith, isn't it? "Well, if this thing can overwhelm the whole of humanity, surely it can do my job for me." Turns out, now and then, you still have to do some good old fashioned research. You might want to do it anyway. Suppose there'll come a time when the A.I. quotes are given more credence than the humans who deny them?

It's frustrating because I really want to see Megalopolis and I really want it to do well. It was actually a fair point that a lot of critics hated Coppola's Dracula but now it's an undeniable classic, a massively influential entry, in the genre. Don't lie when the truth is on your side, for Pete's sake. It's bad enough when the truth is obscured at the behest of malevolent will, let's not do it just in the interest of knocking off work early.

No comments:

Post a Comment