Wednesday, March 12, 2003

Oif. Well oif. That's just about alls I can say right now people . . . well . . . maybe I could say a few other things too. But oif is almost adequate on its own.

Have to stay up all night because of fucking jury duty. Fucking jury duty is at 7:45am, and since there is no way in any hell I could have possibly awakened at that time, the only logical course is to stay awake to that time.

Thank the gods for Morrowind and my Farscape DVDs.

Also for Amélie which I watched a bit of earlier. Possibly the key bright spot of an otherwise generally depressing day. I only watched part of it though. I walked away from it to go to Trisa's house to pick up a print out of an illustration I did for the short story I plan to submit to Acorn Review . . . only she couldn't print it because something was wrong with her disk drive. She did, however, give me copies of Sleater Kinney CDs and one of Hope Sandoval, which is quite good. But by then I was feeling soaringly irrationally frustrated 'cause I'd spent all day typing like a beserker or something. For some reason it left me angry at the world for not moving faster and more efficiently. I went to buy sodas and tomales at the mall, and couldn't help walking really fast as though I were in a great hurry, even though I wasn't.

I got to thinking about whether I even really should try including an illustration with my story--I'd been beset by so many obstacles to getting it printed that I was beginning to wonder if the gods were trying to tell me something--I mean, first I couldn't print it on this computer because--even though it's a black and white image, the fact that the colour cartridge is bad fucks it up by turning the greys into greens. Tim can't print it for me because he's missing a printer cable and Trisa--well, as I said.

So I was driving back from the mall and it suddenly occured to me, in the midst of my deciding whether to go with the illustration, that there're a lot of things that I used to know that I pretty much don't anymore. Something about humility and seeing that a lot about life just ain't roses and I'm better off not looking at it that way. It felt like one of those moments of revelation that shall define my actions for a while to come yadda yadda.

Before going back to Amélie, I decided it'd be best to get directions to where I'm supposed to go for the jury thing and as I did so, I turned on WinAmp and Tom Traubert's Blues by Tom Waits came on and went over me like a blanket and made me wanna just sit around and listen to Tom Waits for hours. I dinna feel like watching Amélie at all anymore, but I nonetheless did for a few minutes.

I wonder if they'll let me sleep at the place? I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment