Saturday, March 06, 2010

Storms and Cooking

Twitter Sonnet #118

Wall eyed bat totems guard bags of sugar.
Productive islands employ everyone.
Montezuma's wife's an angry cougar.
Toucan Sam knows how the jungle was won.
The new beast's fake fruit ribs arch overhead.
Gnats and flies make eating indoors pointless.
Fresh strawberries in old oatmeal we're fed.
Introduce Dracula to a countess.
Stilted are scenes of love on the X-box.
The Na'Vi are easily tipped over.
Nicer, tall sprites have white, cumbersome locks.
Bunny girl armies route a Smurf lover.
Eyes and starchy nutrients cannot save
Innocent yams led to the microwave.


I was really happy to hear Obama might be cutting loose Rahm Emanuel. I never liked that guy--he always seemed sleazy and ready to compromise. I see Michael Moore is kind lobbying for the job. This could only be an improvement. Enough with the timidity. Well, assuming it is timidity and not just lots of people being on the take.

I only just to-day read Roger Ebert's review of Shutter Island and I was intrigued to learn Scorsese had had the cast view Out of the Past and Vertigo. Again, I can't get away from Vertigo. I wouldn't be surprised if Alice in Wonderland ended up being related somehow.

But of course, I could see Vertigo as I was watched Shutter Island, certainly in the movie's themes, but also in its look. I loved the warm colours of the psychiatrists' conference rooms and study that reminded me of Gavin Elster's office.

I also forgot to mention how much I loved the 1950s pulp quality of the movie. According to the Wikipedia article on the original novel, author Dennis Lehane, "sought to write a novel that would be a homage to Gothic settings, B movies, and pulp. He described the novel as a hybrid of the works of the Brontë sisters and the 1956 film Invasion of the Body Snatchers. His intent was to write the main characters in a position where they would lack 20th century resources such as radio communications." Things like loss of radio communication and the idea of someone living in caves to avoid capture on the island fed into this. My favourite bit was when DiCaprio has a line about going to a place where no-one might notice a body and there's a cut to him and his partner in the graveyard--a sudden storm forces them to take cover in a mausoleum, at which point DiCaprio divulges a bunch of exposition. Great stuff.

I beat Oblivion again at Tim's house last night--on the hardest level of difficulty. I really liked that I was able to kill the last boss, voiced by Terrence Stamp, with two arrows from across the room without him or his lackeys even seeing me. I interrupted some long winded speech he was giving.

No comments:

Post a Comment