Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Brave New Bag of Skittles with Such Flavours in It

The new trailer for The Tempest;



I love how it ends by telling us it's "Shakespeare's Final Masterpiece", like he was pulled out of retirement last year.

I'll definitely see this. I liked Julie Taymor's adaptation of Titus Andronicus, and I enjoyed both Frida and Across the Universe. Though, it's true, I didn't like any of those movies enough to want to watch one a second time. But even a halfway decent Shakespeare adaptation is worth seeing. I don't mind Helen Mirren in the Prospero role--she's a great actress, and if we have to change a character's sex for her to be in something genuinely good for the first time in, what, decades? I say go for it. I only wish they'd done the same for Ariel, but if we had more female directors putting sexualised young men on screen, maybe pervert artists like me wouldn't get so much heat about our gratuitous attention to sexy women.

Things I don't like about the trailer; Miranda's short hair, the casting of Djimon Hounsou as Caliban (it feels kind of racist), and Trinculo and Stephano playing dress up.

Things I do like; Russell Brand, Alfred Molina, Alan Cumming, Helen Mirren, and the pyrotechnics.

No comments:

Post a Comment