Monday, October 11, 2010

Where Roman Emperors Go to Contemplate Flying Machines



I stayed up much later than I'd intended wandering around a sim I found through the Second Life website's Editor's picks. It's called Mythopoeia.


I was immediately impressed by the texturing. And I'm not sure how the mountains in the background work--I think with some kind of forced perspective--but they stayed rezed however far away the camera was from them.


There were several spots, connected by paths, each with its own somewhat historical theme--there was a sort of Roman area, a somewhat Persian area, and a somewhat Steampunk area, but they were all unified by and filtered through a single artistic style.


A little gypsy campsite with a playable guitar and edible soup.



A canal wound around the central store. A sea monster was roaming around in it.







Some kind of flying machine--I tried operating it, but apparently you have to be the owner. I was surprised it was capable of flight at all.

The flying machine was in front of the shop, which had various odds and ends, all of it basically furniture.


Looks like someone else fell for one of those spam e-mails from a "Mi-go prince."


I was really in love with the pianos.





There were several different kinds of thrones on sale.





Several very comfortable beds with moveable sheets.


Tou apparently prefers sleeping with the frog.






I put together this outfit a couple weeks ago, by the way. The mask and vines are by Illusions, the gold mesh is from an outfit by Captive Elegance, the wings are by Edelweiss, the little roses are from an outfit by Bare Rose, and the shoes are by Maitreya.

I listened to the local, streaming radio station while I was there, which was an Internet classical station broadcast from Lowell, Massachusetts. The DJ was very chatty, and told a story about how she zoned out one day on the way home from work but was pulled out of it when a huge raven flew in front of her car. She also introduced a piece by Michael Haydn by saying something like, "Haydn was very popular in his day, but not the Haydn you're thinking of. Joseph's brother Michael Haydn." For some reason that bugged me. I don't know much about classical music--I was aware of a Haydn, but not that there were two and that they were brothers. But imagine you are a classical music aficionado--surely you'd know the difference between the two Haydns. I suppose there is a middle group who really dig "Haydn music" without knowing there are two, but how many people could that be? Who's this lady talking to? Why does she need to so narrowly define her audience?

Ah, I think it really only bugged me because I was coming down off of red wine. Red wine and tequila seem to take the worst revenge on me. I don't mean both at the same time. Gods, that would be terrible.

Twitter Sonnet #191

Citizen shades tread boring commutes yet.
A man is rarely outlived by his pants.
At his high school, few recall Boba Fett.
Slave Leia army seeks salted Jabba.
Gold vines casually constrict on feet.
Harmless glowing paintings replace lava.
Charred rock works into an unlikely seat.
Most sofas have cracker secrets inside.
Phone teeth break slowly through soft button gums.
In LCDs do L shaped walks abide.
Indirectly, ghosts teach some of us sums.
Living abacus is a tadpole swarm.
Tiny smoke signals fill firefly dorm.

No comments:

Post a Comment