Sunday, January 09, 2022

Paint and Animals

Yesterday I went to Osaka and visited Tennoji Zoo and the nearby Osaka City Museum of Fine Arts. The latter was by far the most impressive because it housed an exhibition of 500 years of Western art on loan from the New York Metropolitan Museum of Art. I went with my neighbour, Tiffany, and her boss, Nakai-sensei.

That's "The Three Ages of Humans" by Dosso Dossi from 1515. But the exhibition had bigger names including Titian, Raphael, Rembrandt, Vermeer, Degas, Van Gogh, and Monet. Everything looked amazing, every painting's colours harmonising and showing layers in ways that no photograph seems able to capture. I think my favourite of the day was Renoir's "A Young Girl with Daisies".

The colours behind her are more powerful and subtler in person. And her breasts are nice, too, you know.

The zoo couldn't compare to the San Diego Zoo, of course, but I did see some impressive animals. There were lovely bats:

I was surprised to see some Chinese grey wolves:

A couple of them were pacing rapidly and seemed to have a lot of anxiety.

We also saw a lot of big cats.

The lion was being very vocal.

We had a good lunch at a Vietnamese restaurant. All in all, a nice day in Osaka.

No comments:

Post a Comment