Saturday, January 08, 2022

Space Secrets

Friday's nice new Expanse, the penultimate episode of the series, was called "Why We Fight" and a lot of characters do seem to have been asking themselves that question, particularly Amos and Drummer. But the episode might also have been called, "Whose side are you on?"

Spoilers after the screenshot

I wonder if we're ever going to see Drummer (Cara Gee) with her hair down. Or have we and I just don't remember? I found myself wishing there'd been a few helpful clips of past episodes in this one. Drummer's inner turmoil over her decision to side with Earth would have been more interesting if I could remember how, exactly, Earth had oppressed the Belters. Avasarala (Shohreh Aghdashloo) mentioned pinning that Belter to the wall in the first episode, which I do remember, but the torture of one prisoner, however egregious, doesn't illustrate generations of oppression.

The drama around Drummer's crewmates was better and more immediate. It's interesting seeing the technology for regrowing body parts so vividly at work.

I also liked the conversation between Amos (Wes Chatham) and Bobbie (Frankie Adams) and I'm glad their sexual tension hasn't resulted in a fight. I'm a little annoyed Amos told Bobbie about Holden (Steven Strait) disarming the warhead, though. Now everyone on the Rocinante crew knows. I've complained about this before but I hate how no secret can ever be kept on The Expanse. It cuts into the sense realism quite a bit.

I'm liking the scenes between Marco (Keon Alexander) and Rosenfeld (Kathleen Robertson). She's smarter than him and more in control of her emotions but I suspect her confidence in being able to contradict him and instruct him from time to time is going to get her killed pretty soon.

The Expanse is available on Amazon Prime.

No comments:

Post a Comment