Wednesday, April 06, 2022

What to Do About Destiny

A solid new Moon Knight last night. This second episode wasn't quite as extravagant as the first but I felt like I was settling into a decent serialised adventure. It felt a bit like classic Doctor Who.

My favourite characters so far are Khonshu and Arthur Harrow. Arthur's kind of like Thanos, I guess, in that he's operating from a rationale based on helping the world with very tough love. It is nice when villains actually have an intelligible motive. Ethan Hawke is doing a good job in the role, too. It is kind of a drag they're using Bob Dylan's "Every Grain of Sand" ironically, though. It's not like Dylan ever advocated killing babies.

Arthur's argument is basically based on a belief in predestination, like a Calvinist or other hardcore Protestant, i.e. a Puritan. Except he feels he has a direct line with a deity in the know. Steven's (Oscar Isaac) counterargument is basically that you shouldn't kill babies or other innocent people but he doesn't say whether this because he doesn't believe Arthur can see the future or if it's because that doesn't matter or if, like Yoda, he thinks, "Always in motion is the future." Which is fine, Steven is operating on instinct, not philosophy. I would expect Marc or Khonshu to have more of a counterargument, though, and maybe they will at some point.

I don't mind Steven but I'm kind of glad Marc takes over at the end of the episode. I hope we get a chance to know him better next week. The same goes for Layla, who's pretty and May Calamawy gives a decent performance, but she still needs some fleshing out. I would like to see some of her adventures with Marc.

But my favourite thing so far is Khonshu. I love that big bird skull with F. Murray Abraham's voice.

He's a nice blend of comedy and horror.

Moon Knight is available on Disney+.

No comments:

Post a Comment