Thursday, September 08, 2022

Comedy Demons

Last night's She-Hulk was better than last week's, it had at least one good scene. It was better when it thought it was an MCU movie and not when it thought it was a comedy or commentary on modern dating.

It was written by Melissa Hunter, a writer with some experience, and actress, too. In fact, she was the creator and star of Adult Wednesday Addams, a 2013 to 2015 YouTube series about Wednesday Addams as an adult that's now been removed from YouTube. I guess now we know where Netflix get their ideas.

Full disclosure: I don't like sitcoms. The humour in sitcoms hits me like a dog whistle. I see absurd events and hear turns of phrases and I understand they're silly. I just don't understand why the people on the laugh track are vocalising profusely. When there's no laugh track, I find it an even stranger, emptier experience. But I do like comedy. For example, I really liked Arrested Development, the series last night's She-Hulk seemed to be aping for its magician jokes.

But She-Hulk's version never gained traction. Neither did the bits about Jen's dating life, which fell prey to the infamous rushed feeling that has prevented so many Marvel and Disney series from making insightful character development.

But I liked Wong and Jen fighting demons in the theatre. That was fun. It almost felt like Hellboy. Well, it felt like the MCU, and not the MCU pathetically trying to be something it's not. Hopefully there's more of that going forward.

She-Hulk is available on Disney+.

No comments:

Post a Comment