Thursday, September 15, 2022

The She-Hulk Brand

I didn't mind last night's She-Hulk. Which may sound like damning with faint praise but after a long day at work, the fact that it didn't feel like it wasted thirty minutes of my tiny amount of free time is saying something. I even laughed at one joke.

It was written by Dana Schwartz, whose background is as an entertainment journalist. I think this helped her find the right tone for some aspects of the episode.

Especially the commercials Titania (Jameela Jamil) puts out exploiting the She-Hulk name. I appreciated the irony of rhetoric about owning who you are. Though the thing that actually made me when Titania saw She-Hulk walk into the courtroom and said, "Nice suit, Shrek."

The episode successfully built up my anticipation for her new wardrobe. I was really disappointed we couldn't see one item of it at the end.

Although I didn't actually laugh at most of the jokes, at least most of them didn't seem illogical or dumb. The only thing that bothered me was when Nikki (Ginger Gonzaga) actually wore the fake Avengers merch. That seemed out of character, though I suspect this idea didn't come from the teleplay. The Daredevil tease at the end made me cautiously hopeful.

She-Hulk is available on Disney+.

Twitter Sonnet #1622

A shaky pachyderm reloads the film.
Insistent snouts include the tender brush.
A twisted hand condemned the rotten helm.
Across the deck a sheet proclaimed a hush.
The January poet waits for fall.
The elephant from China lands in books.
A circle spell has hit a mirror wall.
It spirals back to eat its fishing hooks.
Attention paid impoverished Ike a bit.
The dancing devil claimed the desert coin.
When last alone detectives ought to sit.
Repeated shows have soaked the tender loin.
A quiet giant sleeps in fire's glow.
In orange and green the pumpkin starts to grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment