Saturday, February 25, 2023

Picture if You Will

I'm having some trouble getting pictures online. The web hosting service I've used for over twenty years now is starting to seem a bit worse for wear. Everything I uploaded before Saturday seems to work fine but, starting Saturday, everything I've uploaded, while appearing to be on the server, will not load in a browser, despite reloading and re-uploading. I suppose there might be better, cheaper services than the one I've paid 18 dollars a month for for all these years. But I have no idea how to move my massive backlog of files, or if another service truly would be better.

I started out using Yahoo small business which then got sold or rebranded to Aabaco which was then sold to Verizon and was then recently sold to something called Turbify. Turbify seems to be the least reliable. I can't even use an FTP programme. When I am able to upload anything properly, I have to do it one file at a time on the Turbify web site.

So I finally had to use the image hosting on my blog sites. I mirror this blog on three sites--Dreamwidth, Live Journal, and Blogger. Live Journal lets me upload full sized photos, I suppose because I have a paid account, and Blogger lets me do it for free, but no joy on Dreamwidth. Ugh, here's something else that's going to gobble up my time, I guess.

Well, here's a sonnet about pirates:

Twitter Sonnet #1673

They left before the sun could stuff the bay.
The morning air awash in rum and sweat.
Abreast, the dozen ships were well away.
A stack of coin at port comprised the bet.
Instructions late at sea were last obtained.
Alone across the placid sea she drew.
Repast denied for months, the men complain.
The lure of corn diverts the hungry crew.
At last ashore, the captain's horde advanced.
With child dreams of Drake's doubloons they armed.
And over hunger, fear, and rotten luck they glance.
But gaze ahead at spoils past the farm.
At morning light, the pirates slashed it down.
Despotic fingers felled the mighty town.

1 comment:

Thomas said...

The picture hosting issue has made me give up on my web page; no loss there, as I was never as consistent or erudite as your blog. Now, if I share images I use Imgur or dropbox. Imgur works well for embedding stuff but has limits. Dropbox costs, if taken seriously, and is limited.

Post a Comment