Wednesday, February 01, 2023

Way of the Gunn

Happy Groundhog Day, everyone.

Yesterday, James Gunn announced many details about the DC cinematic universe under his stewardship. I hope what he plans makes Warner Brothers a lot of money because I like what he's pitching. He talks about an interconnected set of stories in which the priority will be placed on writing and creative vision. It sounds a lot like the MCU but just a guy like Gunn being in charge of it makes me think it could actually be interesting.

I watched Gunn's The Suicide Squad again recently. I think it's the most rewatchable of any superhero movie of the past few years and Peacemaker was absolutely fantastic. I'm surprised he's taken on the writing of the new Superman movie since, tonally, I'd have to think it'd be very different from what he does best. But I think we can at least trust him to steer it away from irony and rote grimness.

There has to be some lightness and romance in Superman. That's what people keep coming back for, even when it's not especially good. I'd also like to see a cockier Superman, a guy who's just a little bit of a smug asshole, as he often seemed in the '40s and '50s. I'd like to see someone like Seth MacFarlane in the role. I suppose The Boys is kind of mining this territory already but considering how popular the Homelander character has become, for reasons less ironic than intended, this could be the moment of a super bastard.

Whatever happens, I just hope they make Poison Ivy a bombshell again.

Twitter Sonnet #1665

Repentant tourists tip the idol's weight.
Reviews revealed the rapid welts were gold.
Consumer teeth deserved a second fate.
Condemned to breathe an airless story's told.
As colours take their places pictures move.
Depression names the dust a money woe.
Approaching oceans, wrath begins to groove.
Resplendent archer draws her golden bow.
Redemptive spider butts were round as pie.
Substantial soil clutched the marble eve.
Possessive roofs exude a mortal sigh.
Beneath the fluffy cloud, the waters grieve.
Electric screens dispatched the flying dream.
Consistent waves deliver writhing bream.

No comments:

Post a Comment