Friday, July 21, 2023

Tony Bennett

I'm not exactly a fan of Tony Bennett, who passed away at the age of 96 on Friday. I don't hate him, though. I listen to the Goodfellas soundtrack a lot and "Rags to Riches" is a perfect opener for that movie.

I certainly have to respect Bennett's longevity. He was still releasing albums up until 2021 despite having Alzheimer's (which makes me wonder how much those albums were his idea). His voice certainly didn't diminish noticeably, not so as I can notice, anyway, in this duet with Lady Gaga:

Do you think Gaga wanted to go to bed with him? She looks like she's aggressively sending signals in the video. That could just be performance but I wouldn't be too sure about the girl who wore the meat dress. It would've been a feather in her cap, one that just went up in value, I guess.

I would say his voice seems to have more range than hers in this song. This is likely a deliberate choice by Gaga but it sure makes him look good. How many singers stop sounding right after they hit 70 or so? He really didn't sound much different than he did in 1949.

No comments:

Post a Comment