Saturday, March 16, 2024

A Good Excuse

Happy Saint Patrick's Day, everyone. I've decided, since I'm basically a day ahead here in Japan, I'm going to consider all one day holidays to be two day holidays. So I'll be celebrating Saint Patrick's Day to-day and to-morrow. Though, really, I started on Friday when I watched Miller's Crossing with dinner. It's about Irish Americans so I thought it would be a good way to ease in. Last night I watched a bit of The Butcher Boy, a movie I love just a little more every time I see it. I only watched part of it because I had to get up early to-day for a Second Life chess tournament and I'm frustrated to say I fell asleep while I was watching Miller's Crossing. I've been doing that too often lately. I didn't even fall asleep this often during movies when I was regularly getting just five or six hours sleep in my last days in San Diego.

To-night my plan is to have boxty, corn beef, and cabbage for dinner. I also have some Tullamore Dew. I'll probably watch The Quiet Man but I'm not sure. I'm in the mood for something angrier and darker, I supposed because, naturally, Shane MacGowan and Sinead O'Connor are on my mind, the latter of whom, of course, played the Virgin Mary in The Butcher Boy. I'm slightly tempted to watch The Banshees of Inisherin again, it being right there on Disney+ of all places, at least here in Japan. If you type "Irish" in the search, the top two results are The Banshees of Inisherin and Darby O'Gill and the Little People. Now there's a well rounded double feature for you. Banshees figure into both films, come to think of it, maybe it's not so strange.

X Sonnet #1825

McDonald's passed to us a cup to mark
The war that brought machines to rule the ash,
Remains of waitress lives becoming dark
As lightning struck, the metal skull was smashed.
"Reversing ghosts can make a kind of life,"
The killer shrugged and placed the gun beside
A worthy chump who climbed the ladder rife
With broken rungs and let the floor decide.
At home, the thoughtful lady bakes a score
And twenty cakes before the party kicks
Begin to honour whiskey oaths and more
Than lout or dame can hold for all their tricks.
A troubled rhythm shakes the cooling pie.
The path to-day is doused in verdant dye.

No comments:

Post a Comment