Wednesday, March 27, 2024

Attack of the Haunted Clone

The animation seemed to be even better in the new, third episode of X-Men '97 than it'd been in the first two. I have to hand it to South Korea's Studio Mir. The story was also exciting with many shining moments, though many critics, quite rightly, are complaining about how rushed it felt.

Why did they feel the need to wrap up the peculiar love triangle so fast, a story that percolated over a much longer period of time in the comics? I was particularly frustrated by the abruptness of the ending, with Scott seemingly making no effort to console the mother of his child, nor did he seem to have qualms about her walking away from him. I suppose it's somewhat true to life considering the divorce rate among parents who've lost their child. It would've been nice if they'd explored that over a few episodes instead of cramming everything into one.

I loved the nightmare horror tone the show took on with animation that seemed influenced by Kon Satoshi. I loved the Goblin Queen though I wish they'd kept her sexy costume from the comics. Still, she was pretty sexy and the fight between her and Magneto was about as kinky as a show can get while still being acceptable viewing for children. Theoretically.

I'm really digging the intro. Something about the unobtrusive way miniature Rogue and Storm creep into the image like ants is pleasantly creepy, sort of reminding me of the little elderly couple in Mulholland Drive or tiny stop motion creatures in a Tool video.

X-Men'97 is available on Disney+.

No comments:

Post a Comment