Friday, October 11, 2024

Hammer and Disks

I mentioned a couple weeks ago it can be kind of a pain in the ass getting ahold of Hammer films. Well, last year I started collecting some used Hammer DVDs here in Japan.

A Japanese company called SPO Entertainment evidently manufactured some really nice Hammer box sets some years ago. They don't contain the major titles, no Frankenstein or Horror of Dracula, but they do have many that are, as far as I'm concerned, among Hammer's true best. I bought volume I and III of the main line and a special set of Ingrid Pitt's movies.

They don't have really anything in terms of special features or frills but I admire the simplicity and taste of the design. The main line sets simply used the original poster art for the DVD case covers, which was absolutely the right way to go.

Japanese blu-rays are in the same region as the U.S. but DVDs aren't, so I guess these would be almost useless for me if I ever moved back to the States. On the other hand, they might just look nice on a shelf.

X Sonnet #1888

I always check the clock in diff'rent spots.
No time was present past the av'rage cake.
Connexions weld the sloppy people dots.
With buckets full, the berries start to bake
Becoming dull distinguished mighty stones.
A river gushed with flavour over grains.
There's nothing left to warm the jester's bones.
The dog would not arrive to hide his pains.
With brainless imps about the pond we wait.
No rain arrives the slake the crashing thirst.
No plane arrives to stall the walking fate.
A better day attends beside the worst.
Rebirth requires burning blood and beans.
The stranded toad bestows the needed means.

No comments:

Post a Comment