Friday, October 04, 2024

How's It Goin' with That Light?

I came home from work yesterday to find my desktop computer monitor was broken. It just shows vertical white lines now. At least I still had my old monitor which still basically works except it has a horizontal white line through the bottom of the screen. It's a slightly smaller Asus, the one that crapped out entirely was a Benq. I never had one just die abruptly, my monitors usually go slowly. There's usually a grace period where I can kid myself and pretend there's nothing wrong, like everything in the upper left corner is just normally slightly pink or the random discoloured dots are a software problem.

This came at the worst possible time. October's traditionally a lean month for me because I don't get paid, since there's no school in Japan in August. I won't be revisiting any visually impressive favourite films until November. It's not a good time to watch 2001, that's for sure. I'm glad I finished my latest watch of Twin Peaks a few days ago. Part of me likes to think my monitor going out is related to the power surge in the Palmer household at the end of season three.

Last night I watched the latest episode of Only Murders in the Building on my laptop. I can't remember any previous season being so consistently funny. Even Paul Rudd, guest starring as the stunt double of his character from last season, is dynamite. I don't even think about Ant-Man when I see him.

I have absolutely no prediction for the killer this season. The show never plays fair with its clues so there's no reason why I should have a prediction. But what the hell, I'll throw out a wild guess and say it's Paul Rudd's character with his phony Irish accent. He's the highlight for me so far on this season filled with highlights.

X Sonnet #1886

A boring man returns the rice to fields.
On lifeless feet, the legs of grass would swim.
Controlling bats contrive to foil guilds.
Demented creeps construct a phony whim.
A field of mice computes a sky of cats.
The wayward boat contains the king of shrimp.
When drinking blood, preserve a thought for bats.
A loving thought does not create a simp.
The broken bulb extends beyond the house.
Reliant names were changed beyond the dream.
Though dark, the fire's more than hats can dowse.
With brick and mortar, walls repel a beam.
Refunding snakes was never planned or done.
A dog was sleeping sound upon the bun.

No comments:

Post a Comment