Another view from atop the San Diego Central Library yesterday where I went to use the restroom. A one eyed security guard in the restroom told me not to enter one stall because his gun was in there. I shrugged and said okay.
I spent most of yesterday watching panels in room 6DE, which, I recalled at one point, was the same room in which I usually saw Ray Bradbury. This year I caught two DC panels, a panel for actors who became comic creators, and a spotlight on the one and only Frank Miller.
Miller was promoting his autobiography and talked about his early career. In the exhibit hall this year, I've spoken with artist Tim Vigil a few times and I told him about Frank Miller's panel. Vigil asked if Miller told the story about submitting his work to Neal Adams. "Yes, he did!" I said. I guess he often tells this story.
When he was just trying to break into the comics industry, Miller found Adams in the phone book, called him, and arranged a meeting. He showed Adams his portfolio and Adams proceeded to give Miller some harsh advice. I remarked to Vigil that it's probably good for everyone to get some tough advice now and then but Vigil pointed out that Adams and Miller had two very different aesthetic sensibilities. Adams' work tends more towards realism and fidelity to human anatomy while Miller's work is closer to the kind that emphasises action, a bit closer to Jack Kirby.
Miller spoke a bit about Jack Kirby and a lot about Steve Ditko about whom he's co-hosting a panel to-day. I can't believe this Comic Con is almost over.
Sonnet 2002
Participants in dolly games increase
Across the mirror, pretty fetches come
Dishonest paradigms will soon decease
Recall the dame who drew Invader Lum
Across the court she runs to hug a man
No lightning strikes the trusty bounden guard
Beneath the smiling god is mirrored Pan
In sleeping gowns, some girls invade a yard
Invigoured grass is pierced by metal hoops
Croquet commenced again for Alice heads
What are these pretty dancing ribbon loops?
And tell me whither art some sturdy beds?
As Salome deliberates with knives
I go and buy a dozen extra lives
No comments:
Post a Comment