This is an example of some work by Tim Vigil, whom I met at Comic Con. He became very friendly when I told him that I, too, make adult comics. He's been an established name for decades, his most famous work being Faust, which was adapted to film in 2001. I bought a book of his art and he kindly included a signed print in the purchase. I was impressed with how much personality he evoked from the poses and expressions of his demoniac bombshells.
So let's talk about some human artists. This year I felt compelled to focus on a lot of adult work. Of all the comics I bought this year, one of my favourites was a series called Wicked Town, written by Francis Stokes with art by Andrea Dailey, first published in 2025.
Wicked Town follows a young woman in the 1970s who's born with healing powers. She has a husband and kids and their new suburban neighbourbood has a strange and sinister secret. The series has a very folk horror feel to it, reminding me also of witch movies of the '60s and '70s, even of Rosemary's Baby. It's an interesting story and Dailey's art style is pretty, sexy, and sometimes creepy. You can find Wicked Town here.
I bought the first issue of a series called Dust Bunny, written by Jason Martin with art by Maurico Mora. The art pleasantly reminded me of early 2000s GAINAX, particularly Top wo Nerae 2. The first issue mainly establishes the premise, which has a beautiful woman in a bikini, a "Bounty Duster", who hunts a post apocalyptic desert for dehydrated dust zombies. The art's consistently good and sexy with exceptionally nice colours. You can find Dust Bunny here.
I bought two issues of a series called The Untamed, written by Sebastian A. Jones with art by Peter Bergting. Set in a hellish fantasy world, the series follows a mysterious stranger returned from the dead, seeking vengeance on a grand scale. He meets a young elf woman whose destiny may be to save the world. This series began in 2017 and has a blurb from Clive Barker on the back, so it's not exactly obscure. But I enjoyed it, despite the general lack of backgrounds in the artwork, which I feel is important to works about fantasy worlds. Still, the writing does a good job of establishing a sense of the world depicted. You can find The Untamed here.
No comments:
Post a Comment