Saturday, January 13, 2007

I recently purchased a copy of Dario Argento's Suspiria, a really nice three disk set, one disk of which is the movie's original soundtrack by Goblin.

I'd seen Supiria once before when I was in high school. My friend, Marty, who was my high school film teacher, had a poster in his class room of the movie with the tagline, "The only thing more terrifying than the last 12 minutes of this film are the first 92."

"So the end's kind of a letdown?" I said. Marty said nothing could be further from the truth and let me borrow his VHS copy, and I was duly impressed by the film. But not as impressed as I was by this DVD version, which is widescreen and a much cleaner print, preserving the crisp and strange colour palette for which the film is so well known.

Actually, more than an enjoyable experience of fear, I found the movie great more for how beautiful it is, with its art nouveau set designs and boldly strange green, red, and blue lighting effects.

No comments:

Post a Comment