Friday, September 03, 2021

Scattered Webs of the Evening

The spiders are coming out in force. Three days into September and the cicada sounds have been replaced by cricket sounds to-night and it's remarkable how much it's starting to feel like autumn already. Last night I saw two frogs hopping down the stairs into a train station but I couldn't get a good picture. I hope they caught their train.

There's still cicada body parts everywhere. A cicada was a rare sight in San Diego. I'm getting used to the little nutcases here in Japan. I say little but they're like small birds zooming around, crashing into everything. On the stairwell outside my apartment the steps are littered with wings and abdomens and legs. I'd be surprise to see an intact corpse at this point.

Yesterday I started back working at the junior high school. I'm so happy to be back, though actually I'd been going there throughout the summer to help supervise the art club. These kids never get tired. They're in there, drawing and colouring, with pencils, paints, and inks while the brass band endlessly practices outside, the soccer team does muscle training, the kyudo team gracefully hit their marks, and the judo club throw down one another. This is Sparta.

In the art club to-day, a student and I were goofing around, trying to make another student break her poker face. I succeeded by singing "Mairzy Doats". I guess that's teaching English.

No comments:

Post a Comment