Tuesday, September 28, 2021

Through Cables and Screens

I finished screening Labyrinth for the kids at school to-day. They seem to like it. One girl actually revealed she'd not only heard of David Bowie but she was more or less pressed into being a fan by her mother and had actually seen Labyrinth before. I don't know how much of her love for Bowie is genuine or if she's just an obedient daughter.

The hard part was upgrading the speakers on the school TV. Apparently a lot of big HD TVs come with really bad sound. Fortunately, there's a Hard Off across from the school--a place that sells a variety of used goods. I got some decent computer speakers for 550 yen (about five dollars). I ordered an adapter off Amazon for another five hundred yen and was able to get them working. All for less than ten dollars.

Next I think I'm going to show the kids Little Shop of Horrors. I'm not sure if I want to show the director's cut or the theatrical cut. Normally I'd automatically go for the director's cut but I was watching it last night and I find the nihilism of that ending less satisfying than the buildup from "Suddenly Seymour" makes me anticipate. Maybe I'll let the students choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment