Friday, December 31, 2021

Happy New Year

2022 is of the tiger, which I could see already on New Year's Eve at Kashiharajingu. People were setting up booths for to-day so I'm going to go see if anything's still shaking this afternoon.

A lot of people stuck around for midnight--the booths opened at 11pm. But didn't feel like hanging around in the cold so I went home and watched Yojimbo. I remembered one of the gang bosses in the movie is called Ushitora because his mother went into labour during the Year of the Cow and gave birth in the Year of the Tiger. So his name literally means "Cowtiger".

Yesterday, one of the teachers I work with made me Osechi, a big sort of bento box traditionally eaten on New Years. So I'll be having some more of that now for lunch. Happy New Years, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment