Thursday, December 02, 2021

Three Marks

And the third episode of Hawkeye was good, too. Much better than the second one, which I enjoyed because of the chemistry between Renner and Steinfeld. But the writing was better in the third episode. Also, I liked the action scenes, which surprised me a bit because the episode is directed by a pair called Bert and Bertie. Serves me right for underestimating them because they have silly names.

I didn't like all the action sequences. I never believed Echo (Alaqua Cox) was pulling off the moves we see on the show, especially in the scenes where she's younger. The first episode pleased me so much by showing Kate make mistakes and here they introduce a character who doesn't flinch in a karate match when she's five years old. Oh, well.

I applaud Alaqua Cox for being able to work despite her deafness and a missing leg. But as an actress she's kind of bland. It seems weird she's getting her own show.

Was it Wilson Fisk's hand we saw in Echo's flashback? I sure hope it is. Everyone seems to think it is. Which makes me wonder if Disney will pull another boner. Though it would be kind of funny if they made it Evan Peters. I'd really laugh if No Way Home ended up being about dozens of Evan Peterses with joke names, none of whom are Quicksilver.

I really like how Clint (Jeremy Renner) only has his bow and arrows kind of briefly. If you over-saturate the market with any currency, it loses value and by just implying he's the best--better than the best, even--most of the time, before he actually shows it, the expectation is much higher. And I am warming up to Renner at this late date--I'm happy he's evidently practiced being very quick, something I wish John Cho could've done for Cowboy Bebop.

And I was digging Steinfeld in the car chase. Even with the fakest cgi stuff, her commitment as an actress to believing the action seems flawless. The long take in the car was fantastic.

This is so far my favourite MCU series on Disney+.

No comments:

Post a Comment