Friday, October 27, 2023

Doctor Loki

Last night's Loki was pure Doctor Who, in a very good way. People were already comparing Loki to Doctor Who in season one, but this season the show's gone from being an imitation to something that really shares the spirit. The end of the episode could've had that descending, synthesiser sound Doctor Who episodes have ended with since the '70s.

I have to admit, I slept through much of the episode. This is not a remark on the quality of it, I was just really tired. I didn't realise I'd slept so much until this morning I looked at reviews and heard about a bunch of stuff I didn't remember. All I remembered was people running around and then Victor Timely turning into spaghetti.

I know people are divided on Jonathan Majors' performance and I do think he's a ham. But he works as part of the ensemble, every member of which plays a vital role in this running, gunning, three ring time travel circus.

So I watched the episode a second time this afternoon and found I'd slept through a scene I'd been really looking forward to, the one from the trailer where Loki says to Sylvie, "We are gods." I love that bit. Even though I really don't find it plausible Sylvie would've set Loki up that way, still, it's great hearing Loki own that. I can easily imagine him saying, "We are Time Lords."

The episode ended on a big cliffhanger, with the whole universe seemingly being destroyed. I'm guessing it's in fact not. There's a gap in the episode--Renslayer, Timely, and Miss Minutes had a conversation we didn't get to hear. I'm guessing that whole group will somehow be back next week. Presumably Loki will be, too.

If Disney weren't always looking to cut corners on writing staff (and everything else involving personnel) maybe they'd have tried to get Steven Moffat to write Loki. Imagine how brilliant that would've been. But I guess this explains why Feige went after Rick and Morty writers, which is essentially a Doctor Who cartoon.

Loki is available on Disney+.

No comments:

Post a Comment