Thursday, October 12, 2023

Our Luckiest Day

Happy Friday the 13th, everyone, and a Friday the 13th in October, no less! Though, of course, I got here quicker than most of you, for whom to-day is still likely Thursday. Friday the 13th is a western superstition but people do know about it here in Japan. A few teachers I've brought it up to immediately refer to its origin being Christian, having to do with the Last Supper and the crucifixion. When I say they that's only one possible explanation, and that the origin of the superstition isn't actually known, I usually get a quiet, indulgent nod, like I don't know what I'm talking about. To be fair, most of the foreigners who come to teach English here are really ignorant so I'm not surprised many of the teachers I work with are accustomed to knowing more about America and English grammar than the Americans they meet.

One teacher even remembered Jason's birthday from the Friday the 13th franchise and she seemed satisfied to have beaten me at movie trivia. I have only very dim memories of the Friday the 13th movies, which I saw when I was a child. I don't even remember which ones I've seen. I suppose this would be a good time to watch one or two of them again. I really don't want to, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment