Tuesday, October 31, 2023

"Outside Another Yellow Moon"

Happy Halloween now to those in countries still in my yesterday. Here in Japan, we had a nice lovely pumpkin moon for Halloween, though most of the pumpkins in Japan are small and green. I did see an American style pumpkin at the mall but it was around 2000 yen, or just under twenty dollars. I hope as Halloween becomes more popular in Japan, Halloween pumpkins will become less scarce and go down in price.

Last night, I just watched Bram Stoker's Dracula again, Francis Ford Coppola's 1992 adaptation. It was always a favourite, but for some reason it's one of the movies I keep coming back to in recent years. Maybe it's because it's just so damned pretty.

It's gotten to the point where I'm speaking dialogue with some of the characters like I'm singing along to a favourite song.

Even the weakest part of the film, Keanu Reeves, doesn't seem so weak anymore. At least now I can look at him and say, "Look how young John Wick is!"

I was talking to some students a few days ago about Keanu Reeves and they were surprised to learn the guy's in his 50s. He really has had a long, strange career, it seems mainly from being such a nice guy in real life, rather than acting ability. I would say he's shown himself to have great reflexes.

Remember how angry everyone got when Matthew Perry took a random dig at Keanu Reeves in his memoir? "Why is it that the original thinkers like River Phoenix and Heath Ledger die, but Keanu Reeves still walks among us?" Now Matthew Perry is suddenly dead, surely it's too tacky to joke that Reeves still walks among us.

It's funny how much Reeves looks like Gary Oldman's Dracula in this photo:

He may walk among us for centuries to come. Bram Stoker's Dracula will be on The Criterion Channel this November.

No comments:

Post a Comment