Thursday, November 23, 2023

Thanks for Simpsons

And now it's Thanksgiving for you in the U.S. too. I thought I found a perfect Thanksgiving movie last night which I'd never seen before but then my internet went to shit and I couldn't finish it. So maybe I'll talk about it another day. So I just watched "Bart vs. Thanksgiving" again.

It's hard to believe how good The Simpsons used to be. This 1990 episode was the show's first Thanksgiving episode. Lisa creates a centrepiece for Thanksgiving dinner which Bart heartlessly destroys to make room for the turkey. So the little boy runs away with the dog and learns a lesson on the wrong side of the tracks. Bart's thoughtlessness feels like the authentic thoughtlessness of a bratty child. I love the bit where he offers to help his mother make dinner and his effort involves asking her for help for every step despite his task consisting only of getting cranberry sauce out of a can.

But my favourite gag is the Macy's parade announcer who, observing the deflating Bullwinkle balloon, says Bullwinkle is "getting a taste of his own medicine." When his cohost points out this makes no sense, the announcer adds, "Now he knows how the pilgrims felt!" It's absurd but also an accurate portrayal of fried, low level television personalities of the time.

The Simpsons is available on Disney+.

X Sonnet #1792

Enforced returns escape but once a year.
Of dusty tomes the sleeper loudly speaks.
A stringy meat adorns the native's spear.
Beyond's a house where ev'ry tile squeaks.
With broken pepper, Holly steals the house.
A list of problems stopped the jolly day.
Computers never care about a mouse.
There's always clicking data 'long the way.
In many forms, the splendid fowl appears.
Adorned with stars, his wattles brightly blaze.
No chicken counts among his saintly peers.
My friends, upon the mighty turkey gaze.
The looming dinner broke the silverware.
The bird awaits in Christmas underwear.

No comments:

Post a Comment