Friday, January 05, 2007

Trying a new system with the "Moving Nameless" fanfic--which I've settled on calling "Moving Innocent"--has made me feel a lot further along with it than I actually am. I decided to finish all the pencils first, then do ink and colour. So while pages one through fifteen are the only ones actually finished, I've drawn up to page twenty-two. Which means I have just one more page to draw.

I don't know if I'll use this technique in the future. It's slightly disorienting, but maybe that's just because I'm not used to it. The reason I tried it was that the pencilling takes more concentration than the latter two stages. It works like this--when I'm writing the script and doing the layouts, I can't have any music playing and I want as little extraneous noise in the area as possible. When I pencil, I can work with music but not spoken word. When I ink and colour, I can listen to the news, DVD commentary, and whatever's on Adult Swim. So I figured with pencilling out of the way, the rest would be a breeze.

Did everyone else see the Saddam Hussein execution snuff film? My sister told me about a right-wing friend of hers who was eagerly looking forward to the execution, and I've seen a number of right-wingers online salivating over the video. I think barbarism has gotten too widely to be seen as a badge of honour. It seams like there was a time when most people would be at least ashamed of their bloodlust. It's awfully telling that the same people claim they can't begin to understand how the Sunnis and the Shi'ites continue in a cycle of vicious reprisals. Even setting aside for a moment the fact that the U.S. was courting Hussein as an ally during the period in which he committed the crimes for which he was executed, we can't claim moral authority to feel righteous about killing Saddam or anyone. Not after all the casualties produced by this government. And just imagine for a moment one of these slobbering Anne Coulter-ites in Saddam's position as dictator. Guys without even political savvy to keep them in check . . .

Well, I suppose I oughta get to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment