Thursday, December 20, 2007

So I've finally gotten my car back. I took it to Wal-Mart to get a much needed oil change to-day. No, I'm not much of a Wal-Mart guy, but it's the closest and most convenient place.

Wandering the store, trying to pass time, dodging the dense asteroid field of white trash . . . I usually find the best thing to do is to go to the pet section and watch the fish. To-day, I saw a dead white angelfish floating at the top of one of the tanks. Its fins had been reduced to a few bristles so, floating on its side, it was a fleshy little communion wafer.

The other fish in the tank didn't seem to notice it, but as I watched, it collided gently against the back of a plecostomus, whose sucker mouth was attached to the side of the tank. Upon being struck, the plecostomus swam aside, attached itself to another part of the glass. But after a moment, it turned its attentions to the angelfish, running its sucker mouth across it, sucking its dead, dark eye. A couple other fish promptly joined in--it was all very horrible and wonderful, and it passed the time.

I also finally finished my Christmas shopping to-day. All in all, I feel like I'm doing pretty well.

No comments:

Post a Comment