Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Facsimile Connexions

Twitter Sonnet #56

Opposing ear canals are in your head.
Kerouac and Gollum are lost and beat.
This heavy wine is like red liquid lead.
You'll never get home from the car's back seat.
Telephone hopping's how to get places.
Don't let Karl Marx see your blackberry.
So I'm taking my teas through the paces.
Wine has now become my adversary.
I don't know why I have to eat and sleep.
Insomnia yields possible profit.
It really is a shame mead doesn't keep.
Bags of finite coffee beans are bullshit.
Too much water in the bowl drowns cous cous.
An arsenal's concealed in sleeves of Mousse.


I was surprised to find myself actually kind of liking the Buffy/Riley relationship stuff in the episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer I watched last night, "Into the Woods". The concept of Riley enjoying the bloodsucking because it signified a greater need for him than what Buffy felt was interesting, and Buffy's inability to trust anyone enough to be comforted by them is a nice aspect of her character to play with. I can see the previous episodes sort of leading up to this now, but it seems like it's a story that could've been told with a lot fewer episodes. Certainly Riley's descent into the bloodsucking addiction seemed silly and awkward until the show let us in.

I read the second story of the newest Sirenia Digest this morning, "PALEOZOIC ANNUNCIATION", which seemed sort of like a vastly superior version of what James Cameron's Avatar appears to be. The lengths to which the lead character goes to establish communication with an alien species do much more to convey the terror of unknown sentients whose abstract cultural concepts are built up differently from familiar, primordial physicality.

Anyway, I'm short on time again to-day.

No comments:

Post a Comment