Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Functions of Green

Last night's tweets;

Burnt water leaps into the square tip jar.
Green plastic melts the dollar's self image.
Wary archers go alone to bazaar.
Bovine bowmen with hooves do more damage.


I think I can blame The Odyssey, Doctor Who, and Fallout 3 for the dream I had. A skeleton was running from the police at night and as my dream began he'd reached a carriage parked in the middle of a shanty town. A tired looking woman let him in, and it was revealed she was one of a trio of nymphs he needed to perform some kind of spell to expunge his criminal record. The spell also required three blue gems and a few giant ant eggs, these items brought somewhat clumsily by Theodore from Alvin and the Chipmunks. When I woke up, the skeleton, the nymphs, and the chipmunk were dancing around a bonfire with the gems and eggs arranged around them.

I was wakened by someone working on the wall outside. Some kind of work that involves a lot of scraping. I read an interesting article on Huffington Post about a "non-profit" restaurant. I've actually eaten at a Panera, one of their for profit locations. It's good stuff. Of course, I suspect the reason the non-profit restaurant seems to be working so far is that it's located in a well to do area. I have a feeling that if it was put in a poorer community, where people live their lives rightly or wrongly feeling they've been screwed by the world, there'd be a few people going in early and depleting the store's whole stock of bread to hoard it. That's what capitalism's really based on, though--regulating human greed. It's not, as some naive persons would suggest, based on giving people what they deserve for the work they put in. I've come to this belief not only because the amount of money I've received has never been in proportion to the quality and difficulty of the work I've done for it--the easiest jobs I've had have by far brought in the most money. But how many jobs can you think of where you can definitely say the amount of money people receive for it is exactly the worth of their time and effort? When you get into culturally prominent jobs like baseball players and the small number of people in the entertainment industry who bring in millions of dollars one sees there's little sense in the idea.

So the idea of something like a non-profit restaurant actually working makes me kind of excited. I hope my first instinct about its future proves wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment