Sunday, November 14, 2010

The Shape of Machinery

I think my hard drive's dying--It made a brief grinding sound last night, but I didn't pay it any mind until I woke up this morning to find a black screen and a message with something like "Master hard disk fail." I restarted and copied all the important, irreplaceable things to my iPod. That was two hours ago, and the computer's been fine so far, but I suspect I'm not out of the woods yet. Fortunately, I happen to have enough money right now for a new hard drive, thanks in no small part to donations from Venia's Travels readers. And it's nice knowing I don't have a comic to worry about getting out on time while I've got computer problems right now.

Yesterday was, I think, the first really laid back day I've had since I finished the comic. It's taking some time for the ever present feeling of urgency to go away, but yesterday I went to Starbucks and sat reading Dostoevsky's The Idiot for a while. Then I went to the restaurant where my sister is working as a bartender now and had some scotch and cognac while reading some more--Glenlivet and Courvoisier, both of which I ordered before finding out my sister was giving me free drinks. It sure is nice to be a bartender's brother.

I started reading The Idiot even though I'm still only about a fourth of the way through The Satanic Verses. I just couldn't stand any more Post Modern bullshit. I wanted something I could sink my teeth into, and The Idiot's already supplying that in spades. Character, people, is what I'm talkin' about, and what I need.

With breakfast to-day, I watched the new Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt, the first part of which was a Transformers parody that nearly killed me. I almost died laughing when the parody of Optimus Prime introduced himself as, "Masculimus Surprise."

No comments:

Post a Comment