Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Cat Ecstasy



Alert!

It's time for

Twitter Sonnet #222

Cross hatched horse hair bedevils a beetle.
Craters make sinks for butter pools on bread.
Foam yeast is vanquished by lancing needle.
Grainy pink horizon hides the seabed.
Tubs of soy lard comprise a real thick lake.
Bipedal bulls worry a bug eyed wolf.
Giggling volley ball dogs spike a Corn Flake.
Raisin hooks were seen on Mock Turtle's hoof.
Identical crustaceans confound aim.
Pugilist pirate friends freeze arm in arm.
Tony the Tiger just looks like he's tame.
Cartoon carbs cause warhead looms to disarm.
Golden fleeces smother Jeopardy! fans.
Kim Jong-Il is cool 'cause he wears Ray-Bans.


We have Snow in San Diego, but he's a cat here.



I've managed to get all the Alliance cats with my Horde hunter, with the exception of the white kitten. I have a feeling earning the 50 pets achievement is mainly going to involve getting enough money to buy pets from the auction hall. WoW is often about numbers, as was pointed out in the rather good Zero Punctuation video to-day;



Normally I listen to Howard Stern while playing, but a couple nights ago I got a particularly fitting soundtrack. I ordered it from Amazon, from whence things are delivered to my parents' house. When my mother asked what I'd gotten, she hung her head in some despair when I replied, "The Who Framed Roger Rabbit? soundtrack." She told me how annoying it was when I used to play that soundtrack over and over when I was a kid.

I do find Roger's version of "The Merry Go Round Broke Down" pretty annoying now, outside of the context of the movie, but for the most part the soundtrack's still a pretty satisfying fusion of jazz and classical orchestra. There's something uniquely manic and high strung about Alan Silvestri's 80s scores, too.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit? was the first movie soundtrack I owned a copy of--it opened a whole world to me. After that, I'd use my cheap grey metal brick of a tape recorder to catch bits in movies where there were minimal sound effects and dialogue. I distinctly remember doing that for Back to the Future, and the full Silvestri score for the first film in that series has only just recently been released.

I think Roger Rabbit had quite an effect on the animation industry in America. I thought of it when I was watching one of my other favourite things from when I was a kid, Darkwing Duck, a few nights ago. It was the third episode, wherein I was rather amazed to see the villain Bushroot apparently commit a double homicide. The show kind of glosses over it with some cheesy jokes, but that somehow made it eerier.

There's a self-conscious zaniness, as in Roger Rabbit, though it's generally less effective in Darkwing Dark. But the episode seemed like it was meant to be a parody of a superhero story concerned with a sympathetic, downtrodden villain, yet the humour usually falls so flat that the story of Bushroot's thwarted scientific ambition and unrequited love is actually sort of effective, helped a bit by the fairly unique performance of a voice actor with the fascinating name of Tino Insana.

Anyway, it turns out "The Merry Go Round Broke Down" isn't just for kids. It's also for whatever entity this is meant for;

No comments:

Post a Comment