Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Mindful of the Living Force

Twitter Sonnet #231

Mind banana tissue squeaks against skull.
A big bearded barber makes scalps smile.
Penguins hide hair clippings at the south pole.
Shave and haircut blanket marks a mile.
Marks miss easy old straight razor hinges.
Cold docks lubricate for superbowl dick.
Fergie ate Axl in eating binges.
Body condom Tron fans never get sick.
Vegan mayo is cucumber semen.
Infinity's pomegranate's stripping.
Jedi flowers have lightsabre stamen.
Anger confers flesh to Wal-Mart's keeping.
Metal crops crack on gold wrapped chocolate teeth.
Foil autumn leaves fly over the heath.


In a bit of a hurry to-day because I have a quiz in my history class and I have to stop at the book store to buy a scantron. They used to just hand those out in high school--they bilk you whenever they can in college I guess. I yesterday thought about how my big hardback Inside the Victorian Home was less than half the price of the awkward magazine/text book for my History class. And did I mention the forty dollar parking permit? It used to be nine dollars.

I go to parties for hors d'oeuvres and walk blocks instead of paying for parking--just like Gilbert Gottfried, who replied to one of my tweets yesterday. Sure, it wasn't anything big and he replied to a million people, but it made my whole month, I think.

To-day I seem to have been tweeting a lot of animation related things. On Saturday I watched the Clone Wars movie, which serves as the first episode of the cgi Clone Wars television series. Tim had been recommending the show to me for some time, insisting that it gets better as it goes. The movie picks up essentially where the great Genndy Tartakovsky micro-series left off and borrows a lot from Tartakovsky's character designs and general aesthetic, which serves to highlight, for me, the flaws of cgi compared to traditional cell animation, as the characters in Tartakovsky's series were a great deal more expressive. The cgi show also lacks Tartakovsky's keen visual storytelling instincts, featuring far less remarkable action sequences. All in all, though, it wasn't bad, not nearly as bad as I was expecting, anyway, and Christopher Lee has a substantial role, which alone argues for the thing's virtues.

There are plenty of things that don't make sense--like the Jedi council deciding to give Anakin an apprentice, and there's the general, depressing sense of a much smaller Star Wars galaxy than the one conveyed in the original trilogy, a feeling I'm used to from the prequel films. But I'll stick with it a while and see where it goes.

Of course, it was blown out of the water by the latest episode of Sym-Bionic Titan, which I watched shortly afterwards. I was delighted to see the show's continuing the robot, Octus', relationship with Kimmy, and in general the episode featured a string of evocative incidental character bits that distinguish great animation.

No comments:

Post a Comment