Saturday, November 19, 2011

With the Magnificent Force of Hollow Plastic



You know, I don't think Thor's such a bad movie, actually. I mean, the costumes are dumb, there's all kinds of cgi where it shouldn't be (I'm pretty sure at least one day for night shot was just out of laziness), director Kenneth Branagh has a weird insistence on tilting the camera all the time, the take on Norse mythology is pretty depressingly unimaginative (Loki's a frost giant?), it doesn't compare well to Der Ring Des Nibelungen, S.H.I.E.L.D. is inexplicably incompetent, and a wacky sidekick for the female romantic lead is thrown in to make up for all the personality Natalie Portman doesn't have. I'm starting to realise she's kind of the female Keanu Reeves, in terms of her acting ability in proportion to the quality of film roles she lands. But otherwise, Thor's really not so bad.



He may be dressed as a Power Rangers villain, but Anthony Hopkins really felt like Odin to me. Pretty much the only character in the movie that reminded me of his mythological counterpart, but I liked Chris Hemsworth as Thor and Tom Hiddleston's Loki is, as I've seen a few people say, actually pretty interesting. The actor's quoted in Wikipedia as saying, "Loki's like a comic book version of Edmund in King Lear, but nastier." Which is funny because when the S.H.I.E.L.D. guy asked Thor who he was after Thor was unable to lift his hammer I wanted him to say, "Thor I nothing am." Thor and Loki are brothers in this and they definitely have an Edgar and Edmund vibe. And like my preferred takes on Edmund, you can see Loki's point of view as he's just trying to do what he thinks is right when he's surrounded by all these damn jocks.



Thor actually gets an arc I responded to--he's arrogant and reckless at the beginning, and when he loses his power it humbles him and makes him more considerate. It's a nice little movie. Really it is.

Sometimes Bethesda games can be a little buggy. For instance, I saw this last night in Skyrim;



For some reason this guy had spawned twice and one of him is buried up to the waist. They can both talk and everything. I imagined the unburied one saying, "Hi. This is the me I keep half underground." Oh, it's a deep glitch, man.

No comments:

Post a Comment