Saturday, January 05, 2013

The Right Animals

Last night's dream involved deciding whether to let a bunch of animals inside who were showing up. What would look like an innocent dog outside would turn into a bear, but I did let in some tiny kittens and a miniature adult gazelle.

I finally managed to get myself to bed at 1:30 and wake up at 9:30. Though it took me from 9:45 to 11:45 to eat breakfast. Well, I guess it's Saturday. The first thing I thought, actually, when I woke up was, "I can watch Saturday morning cartoons!" Weirdly, that always comes to me on the rare occasions I wake up early on Saturday. There aren't any cartoons I particularly want to watch on Saturday mornings anymore, I just seem to have some residual excitement about it from when I was a kid. I probably ought to have watched Duck Tales or The Real Ghostbusters or something but I just watched the third episode of Nekomonogatari Kuro--apparently all four were released in a bundle.

Last night, I watched "Long Term Parking", the penultimate episode of The Sopranos' fifth season, which I'd heard was widely considered one of the best, if not the best, episode of the series, and I'd have to agree, it is really good. Poor Adriana. They really piled on the poor girl--Her mobster boyfriend Christopher either abuses her unloads on her about his problems, she's got a nasty case of irritable bowel syndrome, the FBI are forcing her to betray her friends and family by threatening her with jail time, she had to clean up someone else's killing--in self-defence--only to have the FBI hold that over head too. The whole time, she comes off as kind of a good hearted dummy. I love how The Sopranos allows its protagonists to be really, truly despicable sometimes, especially since they're likeable in a lot of ways. I do sometimes wish the show would treat itself as more of a fantasy, but I loved the unrestrained grimness of this particular episode. It had a lot of terrible, unanswerable logic.

No comments:

Post a Comment