Monday, May 05, 2014

A Brief Face

Not much time to-day because they've shut off water in my building yet again for the seemingly never-ending plumbing repairs--for five hours this time, from 9am to 2pm. I made the mistake of starting to watch Funny Face while eating breakfast. Yesterday being Audrey Hepburn's birthday put me in the mood.

Funny Face is a movie with a lot of flaws, mainly in writing, the awkward connecting songs not written by George and Ira Gershwin, and too much time spent with Kay Thompson, despite Thompson's great singing voice. Audrey Hepburn did not have a great singing range--her performance in Funny Face probably the reason her songs were dubbed over in My Fair Lady. Yet she easily outshines Thompson and not because she's younger. For my money, she makes up for lack of range with enthusiasm. With unadulterated Audrey Hepburn-ishness, if you will.

No comments:

Post a Comment