Saturday, August 02, 2014

Comic Con Report volume 6

I took this picture of David Liebe Hart, whom you might recognise from the Adult Swim series Tim and Eric Awesome Show: Great Job!, on the bridge leading to the convention centre. He charged me two dollars to take the photo. He told me how his management had abandoned him, Cartoon Network had laid him off, and Tim and Eric never paid him for the songs he wrote for the show. He said he was Christian and didn't drink or smoke. He also told me how Star Wars was based on a real war between extraterrestrial Celts and a species called the Corinthians.

"Any relation to Corinthians in the bible?" I asked.

"Not Corinthians, Corinthians," he said.

I also asked him if he'd ever seen Kurosawa's The Hidden Fortress or had heard how Lucas based much of Star Wars on the movie but he ignored the question.

He's clearly wearing an earpiece in the photo which was hardly my first indication his plight was not genuine. I never signed a release so if there was a hidden camera my face will probably be blurred, assuming my interaction with him amounted to anything funny, which I don't think it did. I wanted to play along but I don't think I was the right sort of person to get anywhere with the Tim and Eric style shtick. But I could be wrong, Hart called me back when I started to walk away so he could tell me about the alien war.

What I find really impressive is how Liebe Hart and probably the Tim and Eric team have so completely hijacked Liebe Hart's Wikipedia and imdb pages. He has just three acting credits on the imdb page, none of which are Tim and Eric Awesome Show, and none of which are real. Two of them have very obviously phoney--and funny and slightly disturbing--trailers on You Tube.

The second credit, a movie called Gerald, only has a phoney poster and this synopsis:

After Mel Gibson's death by monsters in 2006, the U.S. built the National Monster Refuge, nestled at the base of the mountains. One evening, a young hipster, Gerald Cromwell, slays a monster while working at a restaurant, saving the customers. The ensuing media frenzy draws the attention of Bethany, a young woman who was at the restaurant that night. Gerald's best friend and roommate, Tucker, becomes wary of the girl and her clique of friends. The film follows Gerald as he encounters athletic d-bags, a kind medic girl, a blogger, and a public access show host and his puppet. Worlds collide as Gerald learns about life, trust and love in a time of monsters.

Liebe Hart has a Tumblr page of his paintings here which appear to all be shop window holiday displays.

Speaking of committed performances, on Saturday I saw the panel for Marvel's S.T.A.T.I.O.N., a division of S.H.I.E.L.D. devoted to analysing members of The Avengers including Captain America, Hulk, Thor, and Iron Man. The panel featured an actual neuroscientist, Ricardo Gil-da-Costa; three people from NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Preston Dyches, Randi Wessen, and Leonidas Moustakis; and Sebastian Alvarado of Thwacke, an entertainment consulting firm. The panel was moderated by Slate's Phil Plait who adopted the role of a high level S.H.I.E.L.D. agent. Everyone stayed in character for the entirety of the panel. It was a lot of fun.

Well, I'd better get back to colouring. I expect I'll be finished before midnight. And, no, this won't be the last Con Report. I'm not even sure how I saw and did so much in four days. All I can say is I walk fast.

Twitter Sonnet #252

Carnations casting charcoal ruin sleeves.
Flickering flower rings crown the sceptic.
Sharp careless petals slice through nearby leaves.
Red veined lilies lead thin lives and hectic.
Cooling footsteps presage ice shock treatment.
Noh infinity waves across masks bowed.
Muted orange static undressed the pavement.
A leaden minute drags an hour cloud.
Folded forgotten notes skid on the floor.
Waiting dust remains dumb and motionless.
Rains of molten steel retained stop the door.
Turpentine rendered the clouds functionless.
Nebula husks'll hold by worn tether.
Yellow stardust sluiced through molten ether.

No comments:

Post a Comment