Friday, June 14, 2019

Movies from the Future

I feel like talking about a few trailers to-day. Plenty have come out recently that may finally get me back in a cinema. I still haven't gotten around to seeing Endgame, though, and I fully intended to see that, so who knows.

Mackenzie Davis has a great physical presence, in her own way like Schwarzenegger. Her distinct body shape is striking and she has the good reflexes of an action star. It's good to see Linda Hamilton back though maybe she lacks some of the raw ferocity she had in Terminator 2. Still, her presence makes clear that recasting Sarah Connor in previous instalments was completely unnecessary. This might be a good movie but, then, Terminator: Salvation had a great trailer and I heard that movie sucked--though I've never seen it. And I'm certainly not sold on Tim Miller as a director; the action scenes weren't really what stood out for me in Deadpool. But I'll keep an open mind.

Elsa, another perfect killing machine, is back in Frozen 2. This could be a good movie, anything's possible, but it'll be hard to come out of the first film's shadow. The first film worked with Elsa as a Satanic or Byronic hero, a character embracing the powers that horrified all of her friends and family. It looks like maybe new characters will be introduced to be horrified. Mostly it just seems like she's going to be a superhero now.

This one definitely won't get me back into a cinema but only because it's a TV show. The series format should work better for a Veronica Mars return than the crowd-funded film which came out a couple years ago--and which wasn't so bad, but not as memorable as the show. J.K. Simmons and Patton Oswalt are good additions and I like how Bell delivers the "small package" line in the trailer. The strip club line falls flat, though. But she and Enrico Colantoni look more and more believably like father and daughter.

There's a longer trailer than the above out now for Once Upon a Time in Hollywood but I like this shorter one better. It lets the lines work for themselves, especially the lovely wisecracks from Brad Pitt. But the newer trailer doesn't diminish my anticipation for the film. The only thing I really worry about is that my expectations have been set much too high. But I guess, like Budd said, we'll just see. Won't we?

No comments:

Post a Comment