Monday, August 14, 2023

The Bug Goes South

The cicadas are starting their dramatic death demonstrations. They've been really quiet to-day due, I think, to a major wind storm. I was planning to go hiking on Monday but cancelled when I started seeing typhoon warnings which'll be in effect until Tuesday evening. So far it's just been really windy and rainy. And blessedly cool.

Here's another pretty bug, very much alive at the time I saw him.

More abandoned shoes. These are some baby Nikes.

Finally, here's Virudhaka, aka Zouchouten (増長天).

He's a Buddhist deity, guardian of the south.

I saw him at the local Nara cultural hall when I went to see one of my schools' brass bands perform. I don't know what he was doing there but, to paraphrase the Ninth Doctor, lots of places have a south.

No comments:

Post a Comment