Sunday, December 25, 2022

Illuminated Christmas

Merry Christmas from the top of Umeda Sky Building! That's me last night (which was December 25th in Japan). Isn't it marvellous that masks have been normalised? I had to hold onto my hat because of the heavy wind.

I went with some friends to Osaka last night to look at Christmas lights.

The city really goes all out. We watched an amazing hologram light show at Osaka City Hall. There were lights everywhere.

There were blue lights on the street:

It was nearly 9pm when I got home but I managed to get to the supermarket in time to buy one of the last Christmas cakes:

Christmas cakes are traditional in Japan. Many Japanese people believe this sponge cake with strawberries is traditional on Christmas in America (it's not). But I'm happy to partake in this.

For my Doctor Who Christmas special, I watched "The Runaway Bride", the Tenth Doctor's second Christmas special from 2006. I realised that, for the first time in many years, I could watch Doctor Who with hope for the future. For the future of Doctor Who, anyway. A trailer for the upcoming 60th anniversary specials was released yesterday, too:

Donna was always my favourite of Ten's companions (in no small part due to "The Runaway Bride"). If they were going to bring back a Doctor/Companion combo from the modern era, I think this was probably the best one for it.

If I were to theorise, I'd say Neil Patrick Harris has something to do with the Doctor turning into Tennant again and he's deliberately trying to bring back Donna's repressed memories of him. For what diabolical purpose, I know not! I'm looking forward to it, though.

Yesterday I also read Washington Irving's "Christmas" from The Sketchbook of Geoffrey Crayon and a bit of Charles Dickens' David Copperfield. Not a bad Christmas at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment